The Start is located to the north of Newcastle City Centre, just off Claremont Road. The start assembly area is over 1km in length so please allow plenty of time to arrive at your starting zone. Your run number has been allocated according to your predicted running time, you can identify what zone you are starting in by the colour on the front of your run number, and also the letter. Please refer to the map below.
On the day the information cabin will handle general enquiries from the Town Moor just up from the start line.
Toilets at the start are located adjacent to the baggage buses and at the information cabin on the town moor. Gents urinals are also available. We recommend that you don’t forget to pack some toilet tissue with you, just in case you get caught short!
38 baggage buses are provided at the start for the safe storage of your belongings which are then transported to the finish for your convenience. Any clothing etc. left on the carriageway at the start will be removed during the clean up operation and donated to charity to allow the reopening of the roads as quickly as possible.
ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO START ASSEMBLY
- On arrival familiarise yourself with the map in your pocket guide – most importantly the location of your coloured Assembly Zone, Baggage Buses, Toilets and Information point.
- Follow the signs which lead to the Baggage Buses (along Claremont Road) if you wish to use them. (Please study the Top 7 baggage bus tips on page 42 of the event day magazine).
- Follow the signs to the coloured Assembly Zones – your coloured race number/ alphabetical letter corresponds with your coloured Assembly Zone. (see page 41 for race number information)
- Once at your coloured Assembly Zone you will be asked to show your Coloured Run Number to gain entry.
- Please be considerate to your fellow runners and assemble according to the colour/alphabetical letter of your race number. On the day signs will be clearly visible to direct you accordingly.
- When in your zone please move forward to allow others to assemble behind you.
- Prior to the race starting make sure you deposit any rubbish or bin liners to the side of the road so as not to cause an obstacle to other runners.
- Behind the start line there will be four big screens which will advise you of any last-minute race information. After 9:30 these screens will periodically show live footage taken from the BBC.
- Please listen and watch out for any last-minute details given either by the PA announcer or alternatively detailed on the big screen.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I NEED TO LEAVE THE ASSEMBLY ZONE?
- To allow safe management of assembly, each zone has a limit to the number of runners allowed in.
- If you leave your assembly zone, you will be allowed back in by showing Race Stewards your number up to 10:30am.
WHAT DO I DO WHEN I HEAR THE START GUN?
Please be patient once the gun has gone and soak up the atmosphere while you make your way to the start line. Don’t worry about your time! Your timing chip will not activate until you cross the start line giving you an accurate time over the 13.1 miles.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE ASSEMBLY ZONES WILL CLOSE AT 10.30AM IF YOU MISS THIS DEADLINE, FOR SAFETY REASONS, RACE STEWARDS WILL ASK YOU TO HEAD TOWARDS THE REAR OF THE FIELD WHERE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO JOIN THE RACE. DON’T WORRY ABOUT YOUR TIME AS YOUR TIMING CHIP WILL NOT ACTIVATE UNTIL YOU CROSS
Late Start Information
Runners who arrive late to the start line, after the sweep vehicle has left (11.30am) will not be allowed to participate. Any decision relating to late arrivals will be made at the sole discretion of the Start Director, and will be taken in the interest of the safety and well- being of all concerned. Please plan your arrival and get to the start on time.
For more information on the start please see pages 42 and 43 in the magazine.