Great East Run
Suffolk’s running highlight of the year is back. Each year 4,000 runners line up for an incredible running celebration, with cheering crowds and our famous entertainment zones providing the soundtrack to your run.
The route takes runners on a scenic journey through the beautiful Holywells Park, past Ipswich’s vibrant waterfront, under the iconic Orwell Bridge, with a grandstand finish next to Ipswich Town Football ground.
Whether you do it for a challenge, to fundraise for charity, or simply for fun, it’s not to be missed!
Book With Confidence
We’ve put plans in place to ensure you can be COVID confident when you book a Great Run event in 2021.
- All events will be staged with the full support from all key stakeholders, follow the latest government guidance and be compliant to the latest regulations.
- We will continue to plan right up until the date of the event, and will communicate any changes or updates via email and here on the event page.
In the scenario of a 2021 event date change or cancellation by us and for whatever reason, all entrants (including 2020 rollovers) will be automatically deferred into the subsequent staging of the event.
If you have any queries, please see our FAQs which should answer any questions you have.
Run Up To Race Day!
Great Easy Run Solo is the perfect training partner and designed to guide you through your training, keep you motivated and get you in start-line shape for event day.
The challenge is to complete 25 runs in the 8 weeks building up to the Great East Run, from 2 August to 26 September.
It costs £15 to join, however if you have an entry into the Great East Run the challenge price is discounted to £12.50. Your entry fee includes a unique finishers medal, access to our online tracking tool and support throughout the challenge.
If you already have a place in the Great East Run, follow the link below to find out more and enter Great East Run Solo.
If you are yet to enter the Great East Run, you can choose to take part in Great East Run Solo on entry.
Great East Run
Join the Great East Run social community on Facebook for support, tips, event updates and more.
The half marathon course follows a scenic route that is suitable for runners of all abilities. Pass the prestigious Willis building and under the iconic Orwell Bridge, then head through the beautiful Holywells Park and travel down to Ipswich’s vibrant waterfront.
The greatest reward in taking part is the sense of achievement as you cross the finish line, but by taking your place on the Great East Run start line, you’re already part of something really special. Great Run events are renowned for being well-organised, safe, and inclusive and the atmosphere and support is always unbelievable.
Before the event
We’re here to help you be your greatest, so before the big day you’ll get…
- Your personal run pack sent to you in the post, with your run number and timing chip
- Access to training plans to keep you on track
- Exclusive offers and competitions from our partners and sponsors
- Support and advice all the way up to event day
- Regular emails keeping you motivated and moving
- A huge supportive and inclusive social community on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to help you on your running journey
On event day
Other than all the good vibes, fitness and mental health benefits you’ll also get…
- Access to the free Great Run app to allow your loved ones to track your progress along the route as well as access to all event information
- Access to the Great Run information point for any last minute queries (or safety pins)
- Closed roads offering a safe running environment
- Food and drink options to refuel
- A shiny new medal, an exclusive finishers t-shirt plus a finisher’s bag filled with goodies
- Plenty of medical support all around our routes should you ever need any assistance
- A huge round of applause as you cross the finish
After the event
Obviously you’ll have bragging rights for the foreseeable, but you’ll also get…
- Official event day photos available to view and purchase a couple of days after the event, so smile for the cameras!
- Your official result ready shortly after you cross the finish line
- Runners Rewards – access to special offers for participants, from our partners and sponsors as a well done.
Make It Personal
If you’d like a special memento from the day, why not purchase your very own iTAB to attach to your Great East Run medal ribbon? You can personalise your iTAB with your name, finishing time, and even a special message. Just £7.99 including postage and packing.
Great East Run Charities
You may be able to secure a Great East Run charity entry by agreeing to raise sponsorship money.
Join forces with the team that will get you to the finish line. We're the only ones fighting over 200 cancer . Our life-saving work is funded entirely by the generosity of our supporters, so every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, and every runner. One in two people now survive cancer. Together we've achieved so much, but we won't stop until we've beaten it altogether. Join the team today and we will beat cancer.
The Bobby Moore Fund was set up in memory legendary footballer Bobby Moore, who sadly died from bowel cancer aged just 51.To date the Bobby Moore Fund has raised over £20 million. The funds are spent on world class bowel cancer research carried out by leading scientists working across the UK. With your support, bowel cancer stands no chance. Let's make Bobby proud and help beat it sooner. Join the Bobby Moore Fund team today.
The Stroke Association are the UK’s leading charity dedicated to conquering stroke. We deliver stroke services across the UK, campaign for better stroke care, invest in research and fundraise to expand our reach to as many stroke survivors as possible. There are over 1.2 million stroke survivors in the UK with 100,000 strokes happening in the UK each year. That’s one stroke every five minutes. We believe in life after stroke and rely on your support to change lives and prevent stroke. With your support, together we can conquer stroke. and prevent stroke.
One in four of us will experience a mental health problem each year and at Suffolk Mind, we believe we can all do more to look after ourselves and the people around us. We want to make Suffolk the best place in the world for talking about and taking care of mental health. Suffolk Mind works across the mental health continuum from wellbeing to ‘severe and enduring' mental ill-health, providing support and information for everyone. We offer a range of services across Suffolk: anger and anxiety management courses, counselling, Waves, supported housing, GreenCare, Evolve Trans, Suffolk Work Well EARLY Minds and Workplace Wellbeing. At Suffolk Mind we want to help everyone to make a life that works.
There are also charity places available with:
Royal College of Surgeons