In partnership with our fantastic venue partner, Brockhole - Lake DIstrict Visitor Centre, we're excited to bring you even more fun things to see and do at the event.
There's something for everyone at this years John West Great North Swim, so whether you're a first time swimmer, a seasoned regular or there as enthusiastic support, read on to find out more about what will be on offer across the weekend.
1. Tasty treats
Whether you're swimming or spectating, all that fresh air can make a person hungry! There's something for everyone on site, from sit down meals to street food favourites.
- The large family friendly Brockhole Café and Terrace offers freshly made food, including brunch, lunch, coffee and cakes.
- Grab and go for a picnic in the park from The Garden Shed next to the adventure playground.
- If you need a boost before you swim or you're eagerly awaiting your swimmer crossing the line, the Lakeshore Café, located right next to the start/finish line offers coffee and cake all day and breakfast on Saturday and Sunday from 7am – 10am.
The Food courtyard features some great local suppliers including:
- Hallsford Farm – local Cumbrian meat in delicious burgers and sausages.
- Kendal Creperie – French Pancakes with a variety of sweet or savoury fillings
- The Coffee Bug – freshly ground Iley Coffee, tea and hot chocolate
- Yardies – Spicy Jamaican street food including Jerk, Curry and Stews
- Brockhole Ice Cream – Delicious ice cream in a selection of flavours
2. It's not just swimming
Our amazing venue Brockhole, has so many activities to try on the day, whether you need to keep the kids entertained or want to make a day of it, there's lots to see and do.
- Crazi Bugz (for ages 6–16yrs) An electric off road driving experience on a specially designed environmentally friendly track. All day from 9:30am (15mins for just £5)
- Archery (for ages 7yrs+) Get to grips with the ancient art of using a bow and arrow. All day from 9.30am (15mins for just £5)
- Laser Clay Shooting (for ages 10yrs+) Using our laser adapted rifles, take aim at clays travelling through the air at up to 65mph. All day from 9.30am (15mins for just £5)
- Brave the Cave (for ages 5yrs+) Twist, turn and wriggle your way through our narrow cave tunnels. All day from 9.30am (15mins for just £5)
- The Cubby Hole (for ages under 5yrs) a free, Fell Tarn Friends themed, soft play area is Open all day from 9am
- Adventure Playground (for all ages) An outdoor Adventure Playground for all ages. Open all day from 8.30am
- Go Wild Creative Crafts (for all ages) Lots of fun, creative art, crafts and bushcraft activities linked to the themes of the natural world. Found in our Kitchen Garden all day from 9.30am (just £5 for 45 mins)
3. Beer, bubbles or both?
You've finished your challenge, now it's time to celebrate! Brand new for 2019, an onsite Beer and Prosecco tent from Bowness Bay Brewing, right next to the swim village. Featuring their locally brewed beers and celebratory fizz.
4. Retail Therapy
If you fancy a spot of shopping there are lots of retailers offering a range of outdoor clothing, equipment and gifts. From bobble hats, to tow floats and a range of branded Great Swim goodies.
5. Freebies and more
Our partners and sponsors will be sampling and activating across the weekend.
- John West will be sampling their healthy, protein rich products across the site. Head over to their chillout zone and relax on deckchairs and beanbags in a pair of free sunglasses. Hop on an energy generating bike to charge your phone for that all important medal selfie or get a memento from the boat'o'booth!
- Drop in to see 2XU for limited wetsuit hire, advice and swim apparel
- Visit the team from Clif to try their tasty Bars and Energy Bloks and for a chance to win in the wrapper game.