Simple, tasty, fresh and fast! With an excellent carbohydrate to protein ratio to fuel the busy runner, as well as plenty of potassium, fibre and healthy fats, to keep you on tip-top form, this simple pasta dish is easy to digest and light on the stomach. Perfect to load up on the night before a race, or indeed to pack in a sealed container to eat cold if you’re on-the-go.
Summer Pappardelle with Courgette Ribbons, Mint, Lemon and Ricotta
Energy (kcal) 556
Protein (g) 23
Fat (g) 15 of which sugars (g) 4
of which saturates (g) 4
Salt (g) 0.5
Fibre (g) 5
Prep time – 5 mins / Cook time – 3-4 mins
Equipment needed: Saucepan, Sieve, Vegetable peeler or Mandolin, Chopping board, Sharp knife
Ingredients to serve 4
400g fresh pappardelle or fresh lasagne sheets cut into strips
25g pack of fresh mint, leaves only, chopped finely
Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
250g tub of ricotta cheese
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- First make your courgette ribbons. The easiest way to do this is to cut off ends of each courgette, then using a potato peeler, sharp knife or a hand held mandolin, shave off very thin slices, being careful to preserve your fingers!
- Combine the mint (keep a little back for decoration), lemon zest, olive oil and half of the lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Scoop out small spoonfuls of the ricotta onto a small plate.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to
- pack instructions (fresh pasta usually only takes a couple of minutes). When the pasta is almost cooked, add the courgettes.
- Drain the pasta and courgettes, saving a tablespoon of the cooking water to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Transfer to a large dish, add the lemony olive oil mixture and toss to combine.
- Add the ricotta, sprinkle with more mint, freshly ground black pepper and extra lemon juice according to taste and serve immediately.