As sports go, running is naturally sustainable. All you need is a pair of trainers and off you go.
But there are ways you can go that extra mile to be sustainable while clocking in miles – a good place to start is to ask ‘How will I get to the run?’ ‘Are my trainers made from sustainably sourced materials?’ and ‘What about the water I’m drinking?’.
As a proud sponsor of the Great Run Series, Highland Spring ensure your naturally sourced water is produced and supplied to you sustainably, giving you one less thing to worry about on race day.
This year we announced our Net Zero goals. As a company, we are working towards a 50% reduction in emissions by 2030, and a target of net zero emissions by 2040. As our journey towards net zero continues, we have also introduced innovative new projects:
- A planned on-site rail freight facility in Blackford, due to be operational in 2022, will remove 8,000 lorries from the road and contribute towards a CO2 reduction of 3,200 tonnes per annum.
- Supporting and enhancing heathy eco-systems on the protected catchment area will be a key focus area. An ambition to secure a biodiversity net gain by 2025 will be achieved through scientific surveys, to create a net increase of flora, fauna and wildlife.
We will also be focusing on creating a truly circular plastics economy in the UK through:
- Introducing more recycled plastic (rPET) into bottles to ultimately reach 100% rPET across all Highland Spring and retailer branded products by 2025.
- The continued expansion of the Highland Spring eco bottle range which already contains 100% rPET.
- The further roll-out of a category-leading trial of 100% recycled LDPE in Highland Spring shrink wrap.
- As a founder member of Circularity Scotland, the new administrator for a Scottish Deposit Return Scheme, working to achieve a 90% recycle rate target through collaboration with other members.
Additionally, if you want to lower your carbon footprint while training, our 10L hydration pack is the perfect to way to ensure you are hitting your daily water goals, while being environmentally conscious. The pack has a cardboard outer which is fully recyclable, contains 57% recycled content and is Forest Stewardship Council certified. The inner is plastic and can be recycled in the same way as plastics bags, by returning them to supermarkets.
And on the day, you can get your hands on our Eco Bottle, too. While all our bottles are 100% recyclable, this was the first 100% recycled PET bottle (cap and label excluded) to be released by a major water retailer. The 100% recycled* and recyclable plastic eco bottle was launched across the UK in 2019 and is available in a 50cl, 75cl and kids format. 500ml ECO bottles are being given out to all participants at the finish line, so be sure to grab your goodie bag on completion of the race! We will also have 330ml ECO kids sports cap bottles available at water stations for that much needed hydration throughout the race.
*The Bottle is made from 100% recycled plastic. Label and cap are not made from recycled plastic. Bottle, label and cap are 100% recyclable.