Great North 5k
Help us mark the start of an incredible weekend of running at the Great North 5k on the Newcastle Gateshead Quayside. Whether you’re not a fan of the half marathon distance or you want to jog round and loosen the legs for the big day, there is no better way to start the Great North Run weekend.
*Great North 5k event packs can be collected on race day – full details will be included in the pre-event day event information. If you would like your event pack mailed to you in advance there is an additional £2.00 charge payable on entry. Simply select this option on the entry form.
Book With Confidence
We’ve put plans in place to ensure you can be COVID confident when you book a Great Run event in 2021.
- All events will be staged with the full support from all key stakeholders, follow the latest government guidance and be compliant to the latest regulations.
- We will continue to plan right up until the date of the event, and will communicate any changes or updates via email and here on the event page.
In the scenario of a 2021 event date change or cancellation by us and for whatever reason, all entrants (including 2020 rollovers) will be automatically deferred into the subsequent staging of the event.
If you have any queries, please see our FAQs which should answer any questions you have.
Couch to 5k Challenge
If you’re taking on your first 5k, the Great Run Solo Couch to 5k challenge is the perfect training partner. Gradually build your way to a 5k in 9 weeks and earn yourself a medal!
Our easy to follow plan consists of 3 sessions per week, with your fitness and confidence building little by little with each session. Our online tracking tool will guide you through the training plan and you can tick each session off as you go to monitor your progress. Or feel free to follow a C25K training plan or app of your choice.
When you have completed your plan and 5k, your medal will be on it’s way!
Great North 5k
Join the Great North Run social community on Facebook for support, tips, event updates and more.
The greatest reward in taking part is the sense of achievement as you cross the finish line, but by taking your place on the start line, you’re already part of something really special. Great Run events are renowned for being well-organised, safe, and inclusive and the atmosphere and support is always unbelievable.
What You Get
Before the event
We’re here to help you be your greatest, so before the big day you’ll get…
- Your personal run pack sent to you in the post, with your run number and timing chip
- Access to training plans to keep you on track
- Exclusive offers and competitions from our partners and sponsors
- Support and advice all the way up to event day
- Regular emails keeping you motivated and moving
- A huge supportive and inclusive social community on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to help you on your running journey
On Event Day
Other than all the good vibes, fitness and mental health benefits you’ll also get…
- Access to the free Great Run app to allow your loved ones to track your progress along the route
- Access to the Great Run information point for any last minute queries (or safety pins)
- Closed roads offering a safe running environment
- Food and drink options to refuel
- A shiny new medal, an exclusive finishers t-shirt plus a finisher’s bag filled with goodies
- Plenty of medical support all around our routes should you ever need any assistance
- A huge round of applause as you cross the finish
After the Event
Obviously you’ll have bragging rights for the foreseeable, but you’ll also get…
- Official event day photos available to view and purchase a couple of days after the event, so smile for the cameras!
- Your official result ready shortly after you cross the finish line
- Runners Rewards – access to special offers for participants, from our partners and sponsors as a well done.
Take advantage of exclusive offers for Great Run Series entrants.
CLIF Training Pack Offer
Make It Personal
If you’d like a special memento from the day, why not purchase your very own iTAB to attach to your Great North 5k medal ribbon? You can personalise your iTAB with your name, finishing time, and even a special message.
Just £7.99 including postage and packing.