The AJ Bell Great North 10k is back for a celebration of running on Sunday 2 July, with a brilliant new city centre route. Expect a party atmosphere, incredible support and an unbeatable sense of achievement at the finish line.
This year’s event will be better than ever. Here’s a summary of what you’ll see & hear on event day.
1) An Iconic New Route
Starting on the famous Great North Run start line, runners will take on the same first 3km of the world-renowned race, passing across the Tyne Bridge twice before weaving through Newcastle city centre, and a grandstand finish on the Town Moor.
The route will take runners past iconic Newcastle landmarks such as Grey’s Monument, Eldon Square, Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle Civic Centre, and the Great North Museum. These landmarks are celebrated in this year’s stunning finisher medals which runners will wear with pride once they cross that all-important finish line.
2) The Newcastle United Foundation
Another exciting addition to this year’s event is our partnership with the Newcastle United Foundation. Runners can sign-up to be a part of the special Black and White wave, with a unique black and white run number, in support of the Newcastle United Foundation.
The Foundation is committed to improving the lives of local people of all ages, enabling them to be more active and feel healthier and happier, through sport. You can find out more about the foundation here.
3) Music to keep you moving
Prepare to be entertained from start to finish with a host of local musicians and live DJs keeping those legs moving:
- Pumping start line music – We’re curating the ultimate start line playlist to get you pumped for the challenge ahead.
- Bands On The Run – We’ve lined up some of Newcastle’s best bands and musicians to provide the soundtrack to your run.
- Power Thru Carnival – This is a high-energy zone that will have you wondering if you’ve been transported to Rio!
- Pump It Up! – Expect throwback tunes and blasts from the past as you run & sing your way past this epic DJ truck.
- Beats Boost – These classic dance tracks will give you a boost as you power towards your goal – banging beats and another burst of energy guaranteed.
- Karaoke Kicks – Our awesome karaoke host will have you bopping & singing as you run past.
- Heart DJ Truck – Heart will be turning up the feelgood as runners cross the iconic Tyne Bridge, with the ultimate party playlist giving runners an extra dose of motivation
- Pacers powered by music – Our pacers will be blasting out tunes to keep legs pumping and motivation high throughout.
4) Finish Line Feeling
Crossing the finish line on the Town Moor will be a feeling unlike any other – it’s a mix of elation, exhaustion, and pure joy as you complete your challenge and collect your rewards. A shiny new medal, a fantastic finishers t-shirt, and a bag filled with goodies await you at the end of your run.
Be ready to take those all-important medal selfies!
5) Après Run zone Post-Run Party
The finish line is not the end! Runners, families and friends can kick back, relax and enjoy the post-race buzz in our Après Run zone. The Town Moor will be transformed into an after-party zone for runners, featuring more great music, local street food vendors and come & try-it activities.
Be part of something special on Sunday 2 July – to find out more or enter, click here.