What to expect at the Great Birmingham Run 2022
An even bigger running celebration, loads more music, and some serious medal bling. Here’s the lowdown on everything you’ll experience at this year’s Great Birmingham Run.
The Great Birmingham Run is coming up fast, and we couldn’t be more excited to be back! Running the streets of Birmingham as part of one of the country’s biggest 10k and Half Marathon events is quite an experience and it’s one you’re likely to never forget. Here’s a summary of what you can expect on Sunday 1 May.
1) A CITY CENTRE ROUTE
13,000 runners will line up on the 10k & Half Marathon start lines on Jennens Road, before setting off on a running tour of the city. The 10k route takes in the views of Calthorpe Park, the world-famous Edgbaston Cricket Ground and the infamous Bullring. The Half Marathon route takes runners through the stunning Cannon Hill Park, out to Bournville with the whiff of chocolate in the air, joining the 10k route round Edgbaston Cricket Ground and a final stretch past the Bullring where the finish line lies in wait for you!
2) ROCKING MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT GALORE
Prepare to be entertained from start to finish by a host of local musicians, charity cheering squads, Heart DJs and much much more. 13 on course entertainment and cheer zones will keep those legs pumping every step of the way. Here’s what you can expect to see (and of course hear) on your run:
- A live start line DJ – Heart will be providing the ultimate party throughout the day with an awesome DJ truck pumping out a high energy set at the start & finish line.
- Bands On The Run – We’ve lined up some of the very best bands and local musical artists to provide the soundtrack to your run. From City Sax to Drums Aloud, and the wonderful NHS band – they’ll have you bopping, clapping & singing as you run past.
- Run Thru Carnival – This is a high energy and slightly bonkers zone that will have you wondering if you’ve been transported to Rio! You have the option to Run Thru this zone for a carnival atmosphere.
- Pump It Up! – This zone will get your legs pumping that little bit quicker to the finish line. Powered by our awesome DJ Truck, expect motivation levels to skyrocket.
- Charity Cheering Points – The wonderful supporters from Cancer Research UK, Alzheimer’s Society and Birmingham Children’s Hospital will be cheering, clapping and hollering your name
- Beats Boost – Another epic DJ Truck is perfectly positioned to boost you on your challenge – get ready for a blast of banging beats and another burst of energy.
- People’s Playlist – Power through this section with tunes chosen by the people of Birmingham – guilty pleasures and Brummie anthems galore! This is your playlist for your run.
3) PBs & PACERS POWERED BY MUSIC
With crowds cheering, fellow runners spurring each other on, and training in the bank, race day always offers a great opportunity to achieve a 10k or Half Marathon PB
If you’re looking to make it to the finish line in a particular time, our team of pacers will be on hand to help you achieve your goal. There’ll be 11 pacers in the 10k, pacing runners from 40 minutes to 1hour 20 minutes, and 11 pacers in the Half Marathon pacing runners from 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours 30 mins.
That’s not all… our pacers will be powered by music, blasting out tunes all along the course to keep motivation sky high! Pretty cool huh?!
4) THE FINISH LINE FEELING & A WORTHY REWARD
Crossing the finish line on Jennens Road to cheering crowds, you’ll be feeling elation, exhaustion and joy as you complete your challenge. The greatest reward is the sense of achievement, but a shiny new medal, a snazzy finishers t-shirt and a finisher’s bag filled with goodies will await you at the end of the run. Why not throw in an ice-cold pint and the perfect post-run meal – you’ve earned it!
5) THE FINISH LINE IS NOT THE END…
The celebrations will continue long past the finish line! Runners, families and friends can kick back, relax and enjoy the post-race buzz in our new Après Run zone. The after party will feature more great music with a Heart DJ (inside a very cool DJ Truck) providing the tunes.
It’s shaping up to be an action-packed day, see you there! To find out more or for a last-minute entry, click here.