The AJ Bell Great Birmingham Run is back, bigger and better on Sunday 7 May with a brilliant new route. Running the streets of Birmingham in one of the country’s biggest 10k & Half Marathon events is quite an experience and it’s one you’re likely to never forget.
Here’s a summary of what you’ll see and hear on event day.
1) A CRACKING NEW ROUTE
Starting and finishing in the heart of the city, runners can expect inspiring sights, iconic landmarks and incredible local support all along the route, before a grandstand finish in Smithfield, home to Commonwealth Games events.
10k – Starting on Broad Street at Centenary Square, runners for both the 10k and half marathon distances will head for the city’s world-famous Jewellery Quarter, passing the Chamberlain Clock at Warstone Lane and Vyse Street, beautiful St Paul’s Square and a city-centre route that features the Mailbox, Grand Central at New Street station, St Martin’s Church, Southside and Digbeth.
Half Marathon – Half marathon participants will follow the same iconic landmarks for the first 8.5k, before heading out of the city centre along Pershore Road, reaching Selly Park at eight miles and a return route that takes in glorious Cannon Hill Park and Edgbaston Stadium.
2) ROCKING MUSIC & ENTERTAINMENT
Prepare to be entertained from start to finish with a host of local musicians, charity cheering squads and live DJs keeping those legs moving:
- Pumping start line music – We’re curating the ultimate start line playlist to get you pumped for the challenge ahead.
- Bands On The Run – We’ve lined up some of Brum’s best bands and musicians to provide the soundtrack to your run.
- Power Thru Carnival – This is a high-energy zone that will have you wondering if you’ve been transported to Rio!
- Pump It Up! – Expect throwback tunes and blasts from the past as you run & sing your way past this epic DJ truck.
- Charity Cheering Points – The wonderful charity cheer squads will be cheering, clapping and hollering your name.
- Beats Boost – These classic dance tracks will give you a boost as you power towards your goal – banging beats and another burst of energy guaranteed.
- Karaoke Kicks – Our awesome karaoke host will have you bopping & clapping as you run past.
3) PBs & PACERS POWERED BY MUSIC
Our pacing team are always on hand to give runners the best possible chance of smashing out a personal best, but this year the TalkTalk pacers will be blasting out tunes all along the course to keep motivation high.
The are 10 pacers in the 10k pacing runners from 40 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, and 11 pacers in the Half Marathon pacing runners from 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours 30 mins.
4) THE FINISH LINE FEELING
Crossing the finish line in Smithfield, you’ll feel elation, exhaustion and joy as you complete your challenge. The greatest reward is the sense of achievement, but a shiny new medal, a snazzy finishers t-shirt and a finisher’s bag filled with goodies will await you at the end of the run.
After some all-important medal selfies, why not throw in one or two of your favourite tipples and the perfect post-run meal – you’ve earned it!
5) THE FUN CONTIUES IN APRES RUN
The finish line is not the end, runners, families and friends can kick back, relax and enjoy the post-race buzz in our Après Run zone. The after-party will feature more great music with a Heart DJ providing the tunes, and there will be a range of street food vendors cooking up a storm! Oh, there’s also gin & tonic close to hand at the aptly named Jim & Tonic bar. Refuelling at the ready!
Birmingham comes alive on race day, and there’s still time to sign up and be part of the action. Whether it’s the start line butterflies, doing something incredible for charity, or strangers shouting your name, you have to be there to feel the feeling.
So set yourself a challenge, be part of something special and earn an epic medal. Take your place on the AJ Bell Great Birmingham Run start line on Sunday 7 May.