Running the streets of Manchester in one of the UK’s biggest & best running events is an experience you’re likely to never forget. Here’s a summary of what you’ll see and hear on event day.
1) That Mancunian Spirit
Whether running for charity, in memory of loved ones or to overcome individual challenges, nothing personifies the incredible spirit of Manchester more than runners of the Great Manchester Run – it truly is a celebration of all that is great about Manchester.
Find out more about some of the amazing people from the last 20 years as we highlight 20 incredible stories – find out why they run, how it makes them feel, and what the run means to them.
2) Sir Mo Farah
The Great Manchester Run has always attracted the biggest names in Athletics from across the globe, with previous winners such as Haile Gebrselassie, Hellen Obiri, Sonia O’Sullivan and our very own ambassador Eilish McColgan.
This year is no different as superstar athlete & 2018 Champion Sir Mo Farah returns one final time, ahead of his planned retirement from elite competition in September. Running alongside Mo in one of his final outings, what could be cooler than that?!
3) Music Motivation
As always there’s entertainment from start to finish with local musicians, live DJs, and charity cheering squads to keep you motivated every step of the way:
- Start Line Bangers – We’re curating the ultimate start line playlist to get you in your running rhythm.
- Bands on the Run – Local bands and musicians will provide a uniquely Mancunian soundtrack to your run.
- Power Thru – We are honouring Manchester musical royalty as the Ultimate Stone Roses will be playing all the classic Stone Roses songs that you know and love.
- Beats Boost – Classic dance tracks will give you an extra boost of power – banging beats and a fresh burst of energy guaranteed.
- Pump It Up! – Expect throwback tunes and blasts from the past as you run & sing your way past this epic DJ truck.
- Karaoke Kicks – Our awesome host Athena is tending the decks & pumping out karaoke classics.
- Charity Cheering Points – The wonderful charity cheer teams will be clapping, hollering and providing an injection of joy into your race.
4) Pacers Powered by Music
Our TalkTalk pacing team are primed to give runners the best possible chance of smashing out a personal best, and better yet this year they’ll be blasting out tunes all along the course to keep motivation high.
There are 11 pacers in the 10k pacing runners from 40 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, and 11 pacers in the Half Marathon pacing runners from 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours 30 mins.
5) Iconic Sights
Both the 10k and Half Marathon routes take in some iconic Manchester landmarks – Coronation St, Imperial War Museum, The Hacienda, Beetham Tower, a football stadium or two…
From the Portland Street start line to pounding the pavements down Sir Matt Busby way, and crossing the famous finish line as strangers shout your name, this route has got it all.
6) That Finish Line Feeling
Crossing the finish line on Deansgate is a feeling unlike any other – it’s a mix of elation, exhaustion, and pure joy as you complete your challenge and collect your rewards. A shiny new medal, a fantastic finishers t-shirt, and a bag filled with goodies await you at the end of your run.
Be ready to take those all-important medal selfies!
7) A post-race party in Après Run
The finish line isn’t the end… Kick back, relax and enjoy the post-race buzz in our Après Run zone with more great music from Heart’s awesome live DJ, local Manchester food vendors nearby, and a chance to explore everything the Charity tents & Exhibitor stands have to offer.
Oh and of course you’re smack bang in the city centre, so perfectly positioned to refuel at one of your favourite eating & drinking spots – you’ve earned it!